Thursday, April 22, 2004

How to fix Social Security

This website [hat tip: kausfiles] has a cool on-line game that helps you figure out potential ways to make Social Security solvent. Turns out it's not that hard. It can be done pretty easily by reducing benefits to or increasing revenues from people who are relatively rich. Seems to me that would be a more or less politically painless way to do it. Why all the hand-wringing and portents of doom about Social Security if it's this easy to fix? I think some people feel the need to play modern-day Cassandra's. Just think about all the predictions of doom coming from environmentalists; if they were even 10% right the Earth would have died long ago, yet it stubbornly refuses to do so. I think some people have some psychological malady that compels them to predict doom (think crazy homeless person preaching about Armageddon, without the smell [errr, maybe WITH the smell when it comes to hippy environmentalists {I seem to be really good at interrupting myself, I'm almost out of bracket types (oops, I did run out of brackets and had to switch back to parenthesis [ha, ha, prepare to be inundated, I'm stuck at work writing reports; time to flood the zone])}]). <-- Now THAT'S the way to end a sentence.

No comments: