Friday, March 19, 2004

Breakin' the law, breakin' the law

Found out today that I am in violation of Georgia state law. Why? Because I own a Swiss army knife with a blade longer than two inches, and I live on a University campus. If you look up Georgia here, you'll see that it is against Georgia law to have any kind of weapon (including any "knife having a blade of two or more inches") within 1000 feet of a school, including Universities. What a crock. It should be noted that the law does have a bunch of exceptions written into it for things like teachers and if you're over 21 and picking someone up from school, but it allows no exception for those who live in a dorm on-campus. The law makes sense for elementary and high schools but is a stinkin load of crap when applied to the University level. I'm a 23 year old graduate student, not a child. I believe I should be able to have any legal weapon I want, even if I live on-campus. I don't feel in any danger of being prosecuted under this law, but it's irritating that it even exists.

No comments: